Love brings joy into our lives and makes us want to live, but very often, our inner fears and unresolved psychological problems turn this happy feeling into daily arguments and misunderstandings. That is why mutual respect is one of the basic feelings that should rule your relationship. Unfortunately, no advice will bring calm and harmony into your life unless you understand how important is it to treat your partner with respect and take their opinion into consideration as much as your own. So read below to find out why mutual homage appears to be so vital and how you can reach it in your couple.
Why is it so important?
First of all, one must understand that the relations inside your couple depend on your own perception of yourselves; you both need to be mature and understand your personalities. If a man feels the love of a woman, he will try to do everything possible for her to be happy. That is why, first of all, take care of your inner state, well-being, and mood. So you will be able not only to take but give and make the person near you happy.
What does it mean to respect? We have a lot to learn from the Australians, for example. If you ever wanted to date women, you know how careful they are when it comes to mutual respect and care for their husbands. However, let’s take a closer look at what is considered to be a respectful way of treating your partner all over the world. To respect a man means:
To recognize his physical and masculine power;
Respect his abilities, interests, and talents;
Trust his decisions;
Respect his personal space (do not try to read his text messages, emails, or a diary).
Here is also how you can emphasize your respect for a woman:
Recognize her uniqueness;
Recognize her attractiveness and knowledge;
Respect the work she does to make your home and family feel comfortable;
Respect her emotions, feelings, and experiences.
How can you reach mutual respect in a relationship?
1. Do not turn your feelings into a job. You do not have to get exhausted, tired, or sick, trying to keep up with everything to prove your love. You are an individual and can feel a little bit off sometimes, so even if you have a bad mood or fall apart with some household tasks, it is ok, and your partner should realize it too. So do not demand too much from your partner; most probably, they are doing their best to please you anyway.
2. Listen to your own desires. Very often, making others happy you forget about yourself. Well, caring for others can really bring a lot of joy but think about the way you feel in the first place. Perhaps it is right to share responsibilities in your family, learn how to say NO, and set the boundaries of your personal space.
3. Never demand love forcefully. A person must take care of their inner world so that harmony and peace prevail there. It will guarantee that they will become a perfect wife or husband, great father or mother, and a friend and make them able to emit this positive energy. If you have a fear of becoming useless, are frightened by loneliness, and you do not see any joy in life without your partner, then you will destroy your relationship. To respect others, you need to learn how to respect yourself.
4. Clear out negative thoughts. It is impossible to spread out positivity when you are upset and insulted, so it’s important to keep your inner world in order, face your fears bravely, and overcome the pain of the past. Get rid of all the negative emotions that prevent you from enjoying life. Ask for the help of your loved one.
5. Think twice before saying something. When in the middle of the argument, always try to put yourself into somebody’s shoes and regard your own words from their perspective. You need to calm down and defend your positions and desires in a polite form every time you need to say something important. Do not let your aggression take over.
6. Control your facial expressions. During a regular conversation, you send hundreds of non-verbal signals to your partner, giving out your true attitude towards them or their actions without even noticing. So try to look after what you are saying and how you behave because your emotions, eye contact, or body movements can upset another person, and it is a sign of disrespect.
7. Be open and speak frankly. Always be as straightforward as possible, talk without hints, and tell your partner the truth, even if you think it may upset them or make them feel sad because what will make them feel even more miserable is finding out that you were lying. To respect your lover means to always tell the truth.
Now you know why respect in relationships is so important. Finally, just remember that being in harmony with yourself, you will create harmony around yourself and be able to treat your beloved properly.